20080808

Behind the Scenes: Chapter 23

Okay, I need to preface this. OH MY GOD have I been worried about this chapter since I started writing the book! There are three I was tweaking over, and at least I am through two of them. Chapter 21 was the first, Chapter 23 is the second, and the third is...a secret because I don't want Maddo to panic.

My notes for this chapter are a mess. Some are stricken, some double-stricken. I have conversations with myself in sections, and epiphanies are bolded. If anything were to ever be made public to prove I am insane, this chapter's notes would be the best place to start. (I can admit that here because I trust those of you who read this implicitly. :D) But it was for a good reason.

Think of all the times you've seen a coma/sick/dying scene. Think of all the times the victim magically comes back and they share a heartfelt moment. Think of how easy that would be to write, but also of how thoroughly un- Asha-and-Reid this would be! Secondly, if I did that, it would cheapen Reid's emotional display.

The reason why my notes look schizophrenic is because I was trying as hard as I could to slip away from the cliche. There is nothing sexy or romantic about this. It's awkward. Reid's awkward. She's completely limp in his arms, and he's tired from holding her up. He has a nervous breakdown, essentially, and after he's finally given up, she comes to, completely normal, and has what I think is the most Asha-esque moment to date. Nothing goes "right," but I am convinced this is what would really happen. They are not a couple for cliche.

And there's my .02...

No comments: