Before you ask, yes this is how most of the notes on my novel appear. Three paragraphs of pseudo-shorthand to make nine to thirteen pages of text. It's exhausting!
Asha is cleaning her room to keep her focused. Nanda and Elene are in her head. He's doing dishes downstairs, thinking about the oddness of the material of the tableware, and Elene is in seminar on the Kiranese fleet, thinking about being a pilot. (PSYCHIC PILOT FTW)
Reid comes in. (The dynamic of this scene has completely changed. Fuck.)
“I've finally convinced them that it's good I don't use my talent. Unfortunately, the Fleet has decided if I don't help you with this they're expelling me.”
I can't tell if he's actually unhappy. It makes me alone. That must be why they want him with me. Otherwise I'd never know the feeling, and ho can I train if I don't know the feeling? His eyes are green and they are waiting for me to respond.
“Do you not want to?” I watch him grin with his mouth and keep secrets with his eyes.
“I don't want to get kicked out of the Fleet. You're better than exile.”
His flippancy makes me believe at least some part of him is looking forward to this. I ignore what he said like Desmond has told me not to. I want to goad him until he becomes readable.
“Thank you.”
He blinks. I feel successful even though he is empty.
“This will be fun,” I add, and he stares down at me. A few moments later, he begins to laugh. It is a pleasant sound, and I find myself smiling.
“You're an odd one.” I have to rely on the tone of his voice. There is no malice there, but the words still remind me of my father. This thought of Reid's and that of my father sound the same way when spoken aloud, but they're not actually the same at all. Again, I try to imagine what could have goaded Reid into shutting everyone out. He has to know how useless words are. “Not as strange as you, I think.”
“We'll see. I'm supposed to take you to a concert tonight. We'll be leaving in three hours.”
“What are we going to see?”
“I don't know. Whatever they picked out.” He turns his back on me and leaves without
another word.
-Asha talks to Caroline about Reid.
-Elene and Bastian? --> It is probably time they talked, too. Bastian needs more development.
-Has a normal moment with Nanda.

No comments:
Post a Comment